Avignon is a quintessential example of the beauty and history in Provence – and a perfect destination for people who are venturing outside of Paris for the first time. So, what do you say – let’s see if we can get you there, and ensure you have fun once you arrive!
How To Get To Avignon
Avignon is just a TGV train ride away from Paris, and is also close to Lyon, Nice, Marseille and Montpellier, all reachable by train, which means you can definitely add it to any southern French itinerary. You can even get to Avignon from London via the Eurostar in 6 hours!
Just a note if you’re driving to Avignon – it’s a walled-in city that is very pedestrian-friendly, which means that parking is limited within the city center. Check with your accommodations to see if they offer parking; otherwise, there is plenty of parking just outside the walls.
Read more about renting a car in Paris.
Read more about traveling by TGV train through France.
Here are more exact directions on how to get from Paris to Avignon.
Where To Stay In Avignon
Even though it is a small town, there are plenty of hotels, B&Bs and vacation apartments in Avignon. You can have your pick! Here’s a handy widget to help you choose and book right now:
Hotels in Avignon
What To Do In Avignon
- Visit the Palais Des Papes, where Popes used to flee.
- Exit the walls to see the famous Pont d’Avignon, now in ruins that stretch halfway into the Rhône river.
- Have lunch or a drink in the Place de l’Horloge, Avignon’s outdoor living room.
- Get as “lost” as you can in the back streets of a walled-in city!
Things To Do Near Avignon
- Hit these eight enchanting villages in Provence.
- Here are free things to do in Provence, and the top 10 things to do in Provence.
- Swoon over antiques and fresh foods at the market in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.
Photo: Henri Sivonen