Normandy has direct ties to the U.S.
Normandy’s strategic role in World War II history is still very much alive and a part of the fabric of this region. But far from being Disney-fied or touristy, the topic is treated with the respect it deserves – as are the people, especially Americans, who come to visit its sites. I can’t recommend highly enough to put this region on your must-see list, if solely for this reason.
- How to Get from Paris to the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach
- 3 Omaha Beach Itineraries
- Photos: American WWII Cemetery & Memorial at Omaha Beach
Normandy has adorable villages along its coastline.
Perhaps it’s because the English Channel is a bit more choppy and cold than the Mediterranean, but the seaside villages along the coast here are simply not as touristed as down south – and even then, it’s mostly French. But that doesn’t make them any less adorable. If you’d like a quick weekend out of Paris by the sea with little to no tourism and roughly half the cost of the Riviera, head to Normandy’s shores.
- Getting from Paris to Normandy
- Best beaches in France
- Nude beaches in France
- Great overnight trip from Paris: Port-en-Bessin
Normandy is surprisingly rural.
I was on a road trip recently with a friend and our first stop out of Paris was Bayeux. And once you get out of Ile-de-France, Paris’s region, whoo-boy, it gets rural, and fast. And once you’re off the highway, there are plenty of rolling hills, cows, orchards, and farm houses that together form a downright bucolic scene. It’s a road-tripping delight, and I highly recommend it.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
- Renting a car in France
- France road trip ideas
- How to Get From Paris to Bayeux
- Cheap Hotels in Bayeux
Mont Saint-Michel is in Normandy.
And I’l tell you flat-out – GO TO THERE. There is simply nothing else like it in the world. I mean, LOOK AT IT for goodness sake. It’s one of the most breathtaking places this jaded travel writer has ever visited.
- Visiting Mont St-Michel
- Getting from Paris to Mont St-Michel
- Hotels near Mont St-Michel
- Mont Saint Michel: An iconic site in photos
Normandy has lots of little hidden treasures for you to discover.
Because of Mont St-Michel and Omaha Beach, a lot of Normandy gets overlooked. Here are some links to help you fill out a trip to Normandy.
- Normandy overview
- Top 10 things to do in Normandy
- The Cathedral at Rouen: The inspiration for Monet’s famous series
- Visiting Dieppe
- Getting from Paris to Rennes